Las Terrenas, Las Galeras, Samaná
Almost all of the province's economy revolves around the beach destinations of Las Terrenas, Las Galeras, Portillo, Cosón, Playa Rincón and Playa Bonita, although the Salto El Limón waterfall also deserves a visit.
Most hotels in Samaná are privately owned, and aren't as large as the all-inclusive resorts found on other parts of the island.
Samaná is an incredibly diverse peninsula. Measuring 540 square miles, it is even larger than most Caribbean islands. It has a unique environment, with green palm tree lined hills creating a stark contrast up against unspoiled white beaches. There is much to discover in this natural paradise, including the world's largest coconut plantation.
However, there is more than just nature here. New tasteful developments such as upscale hotels, restaurants and shops, make it a very attractive place to relax. The influence of European and English-speaking Caribbean natives has played an important role in shaping the food, culture, and religion of Samaná. If you are looking for an active vacation in a natural paradise, look no further than Samaná.
Samaná is an ecological paradise. Here, you can go to Los Haitises national park to see mangrove swamps, islets, and caves with cave art. Other highlights include Salto El Limón [waterfall], Cayo Levantado [islet] and humpback whale-watching from the middle of January until mid-March. There are great places to go mountain biking, hiking, riding in 4x4 vehicles or horseback-riding. Just a 10 minute boat ride away, the other side of the bay has the Paraíso Caño Hondo eco-tourism project with incredible inland streams.
Restaurants & Nightlife [+]
- Fantástico, avenida 27 de Febrero, Las Terrenas. Telephone: 829-914-3640
- La Terrase, Pueblo de los Pescadores, Las Terrenas. Telephone: 809-240-6730
- El Cayuco, Pueblo de los Pescadores, Las Terrenas. Telephone: 809-240-6885
- Xamana, avenida Malecón, Santa Bárbara de Samaná. Telephone: 809-846-2129
- L'Hacienda Grill, avenida Marina 6, Telephone: 809-538-2383
Pizzería da Vittorio, calle Principal, Las Galeras.
- El Pescador Café Restaurante, calle Principal. Las Galeras. Telephone: 829-276-1568
- Restaurante Il Pirata, calle Principal, Plaza Lusitania, las Galeras. Telephone: 809-538-0093
- Piano Bar Disco, Pueblo Príncipe, avenida Malecón, Santa Bárbara de Samaná.
- Gaia Club, Pueblo de los Pescadores, Las Terrenas. Telephone: 809-240-5133
- El Toro sobre el Techo, Pueblo de los Pescadores. Telephone: 809-869-7835
- Syroz Bar, calle Libertad, frente a El Paseo de la Costanera. Telephone: 809-866-5577
- Cielito Discoteca, calle Rosa Duarte 2, Santa Bárbara de Samaná. Telephone: 809-967-0103
Weather forecast [+]