DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – OCT. 11, 2011 – Dominican Republic is a favorite getaway for those seeking exciting culture, delicious gastronomy, pulse-pounding merengue, effervescent nightlife and the world’s top resorts. Every year influential international media and tourism influencers honor this most popular and 2nd largest Caribbean country with accolades. Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism is proud to share this annual list of awards honoring the majestic beauty of the island nation.
Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism Celebrates Prestigious Honors of Country’s Tourism Assets
From industry-leading guest service and luxurious golf, to pristine coastlines and dream wedding destinations, Dominican Republic continues to top travelers’ lists in 2011:
- Tortuga Bay Hotel, the Oscar de la Renta-designed hotel in the PUNTACANA Resort & Club complex, was honored with the AAA Five Diamond Award for 2011.
- TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice 2011 honored IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Bávaro as the 9th best all-inclusive resort in the world and as the best hotel in Punta Cana.
- TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice 2011 ranked Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana as the 2nd best hotel for relaxation in the Caribbean and Mexico, as well as the 8th most romantic resort in the region.
- Dominican Fiesta Hotel & Casino in Santo Domingo received TripAdvisor’s “Certificate of Excellence 2011.”
Living in the DR
- TripAdvisor ranked Punta Cana 8th on its 2011 “Top 10 World Beach Destinations.”
- Bávaro Beach in Punta Cana was named a “Top Beach in the Caribbean” by About.com in 2011.
- Ocean World Adventure Park in Puerto Plata received TripAdvisor’s “Award of Excellence 2011” and “Best Caribbean Entertainment Complex” by The Sunpost.
- GolfWeek included nine Dominican golf courses on its “2011 Best Courses of the Caribbean and Mexico”: Teeth of the Dog Golf Course, Dye Fore Golf Course, Playa Grande Golf Course, Roco Ki Faldo Legacy Golf Course, La Romana Country Club, Guavaberry Golf & Country Club, Punta Espada Golf Club and Corales Golf Club.
Top Travel Destinations
- Cheapflights.ca declared Punta Cana as one of their “Top 20 Winter Break Destinations” in 2011.
- Arthur Frommer listed Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Samaná as the frontrunners on his list of 2011 “Top 15 Best Bargain Vacations” in The Toronto Star.
- Travelocity named Dominican Republic as one of the “Top Ten Destinations for 2011 Summer Family Travel.”
- Destination Weddings and Honeymoon magazine named Dominican Republic as one of the 20 “Best Honeymoon Destinations 2011.”
- MasterCard Worldwide’s 2011 tourism destination forecast ranked Santo Domingo as 7th in “Emerging Markets that will Play a Bigger Role in Knitting the World Together.”
- New York Post named Dominican Republic as a “Caribbean Favorite for Spring,” in 2011.
- Houston Chronicle ranked Dominican Republic as the 4th “Best Budget-Friendly Spot in 2011.”
- ShermansTravel.com’s “Top 10 Budget Caribbean Islands” listed Dominican Republic as 3rd in 2011.
- Cheapflights.com named Punta Cana as the “Top Spring Break Destination” in 2011.
- ShermansTravel.com ranked Samaná, Puerto Plata and Punta Cana as 2011 destinations with “Top Bargain Value.”
- SITE (Annual Analysis & Forecast of the Industry Motivational Events) listed Dominican Republic as one of the most popular and up and coming destinations in 2011.
- Dominican Republic ranked as 2nd desired destination wedding location and 1st preferred honeymoon destination in Bridal Guide’s “Honeymoon & Destination Wedding Survey for 2010-2011.”
# # #
About Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic’s first tourist was Christopher Columbus in 1492. Rich in history, the DR has developed into a diverse destination offering both Dominican and European flavors to more than one million U.S. visitors each year. Named #1 Golf Destination in Caribbean & Latin America by the International Association of Golf Tour Operators, the DR boasts 28 designer golf courses, upscale resorts, pristine nature, and sophisticated cities and quaint villages filled with warm Dominican people. The DR features the best beaches, fascinating history and culture, and is a chosen escape for celebrities, couples and families alike. Visit Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism’s official website at: www.GoDominicanRepublic.com.
For more information, contact:
BVK Public Relations for DR Ministry of Tourism
Vanessa Welter: (414)247-3803 or email@example.com