Free to the public, visitors are invited to participate in a colorful experience exploring the Puerto Plata (POP) region right in their own backyards and the chance to win a trip for two to experience it in person
SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – May 2, 2019 – Summer is coming sooner than expected to select markets across the United States with the announcement of the Dominican Republic POP Funhouse museum.
Hosted by the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism (MITUR), the POP Funhouse is a play on the airport code for Puerto Plata (POP), one of the truly unique and hidden gems of Dominican Republic. The experiential installation will debut in Miami on May 17, and travel to four cities before wrapping in Boston on June 10.
“We understand that travelers today are looking for new and underexplored areas to visit during limited vacation time. Authentic destinations offering the luxury and relaxation they crave along with opportunities for cultural immersion and adventure,” said Magaly Toribio, Marketing Advisor for the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism. “Puerto Plata offers all of this and more, so we wanted to create a fun and engaging activation to promote one of our country’s best kept secrets with consumers in a convenient and easily accessible way.”
At POP Funhouse guests are invited to make their way through eight photo-friendly and individually curated rooms, designed to represent top attractions of Puerto Plata and inspire travel. Room themes include:
- Colorful Casas Victorianas: Explore the vibrant island colors of Puerto Plata’s iconic Victorian architecture, boasting the largest collection of well-preserved 19th century Victorian-style buildings in the Caribbean
- Kiteboarding Among the Clouds: The Caribbean’s hub for windsurfing, kitesurfing, laser sailing and a wide variety of water and extreme sports, it’s no surprise that the beach town of Cabarete in Puerto Plata is considered “the kitesurfing capital of the world,” and hosts international kitesurfing and water sports championships every year
- Puerto Plata Heights: Experience the teleferico, the Caribbean’s only cable car
- Inside Amber: a top producer of amber in the world and one of the only places to find rare Blue Amber. The clarity of Dominican Amber makes it some of the best for fossilization, exemplified by the fossilized mosquito amber used in the 1993 film, “Jurassic Park”
- World of Waterfalls: Dip your toe into 27 Charcos de Damajagua, a hidden natural waterpark of smooth stone chutes and crystal-clear pools
- Street Art Style: Colorful murals of Puerto Plata depicting the history and modern life
- Colmado Cool: Offering all of the everyday items you can think of, with a side of friendly conversation, Dominican “colmados” represent 28 percent of the country’s small business and exemplify the kindness and culture of the people
To further encourage attendance to this fun and free installation, the POP Funhouse will be doing a trip giveaway in every market. Attendees simply need to post a picture of them at any of the rooms to Instagram and tag @GoDomRep in the caption and use the hashtag #POPFunhouse for the chance to win an all-inclusive trip for two to Puerto Plata.
The installation is operated on a first come, first served basis, and the line will cut off 45-minutes prior to closing each night, so getting there early is recommended. Official dates and hours of operation are as follows:
Wynwood Soho Studios; Miami, FL
- Friday, May 17: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 m.
- Saturday, May 18: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 m.
Sterling Bay; Chicago, IL
- Friday, May 24: 2:00 p.m. – 8:00 m.
- Saturday, May 25: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 m.
- Sunday, May 26: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 m.
West Edge at the Chelsea Market; New York, NY
- Friday, May 31: 2:00 p.m. – 8:00 m.
- Saturday, June 1: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 m.
- Sunday, June 2: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 m.
Cyclorama at Boston Center for the Arts; Boston, MA
- Saturday, June 8: 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 m.
- Sunday, June 9: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 m.
- Monday, June 10: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 m.
To learn more about Dominican Republic POP Funhouse, visit www.godominicanrepublic.com/POPFUNHOUSE
To begin planning your trip to Puerto Plata or any of Dominican Republic’s amazing destinations, please visit www.godominicanrepublic.com
About Dominican Republic
Well known for off-the-beaten-path excursions, rich culture, endless amenities and year-round perfect climate, Dominican Republic is a place like no other. Easily accessible via a direct flight from most major airports, it is an ideal oasis for celebrities, couples and families alike. From hiking trails to undiscovered beaches and world-class golf courses, here you can renew in our luxurious and diverse accommodations, explore ancient relics of centuries past, revel in Dominican fare, or enjoy ecotourism adventures in our magnificent national parks, mountain ranges and rivers.
Surrounded by the Caribbean Sea on the south and the Atlantic Ocean on the north, Dominican Republic features a variety of sports, recreation and entertainment options, exclusive cultural experiences like dancing, carnival festivities, plus Dominican specialties such as cigars, rum, chocolate, coffee, amber and larimar. Between adventurous Puerto Plata, lush Samaná, historic Santo Domingo, sunny Punta Cana, luxe La Romana, bustling Barahona and more, each area has something for every type of traveler and budget.
In addition to its uncharted experiences coast to coast, the country has also generated a worldwide reputation for its warm, and hospitable people. With eight international airports and nine distinct ecological zones it has never been more accessible or appealing to explore Dominican Republic.
Download the Go Dominican Republic App, available in the App Store and Google Play
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @GoDomRep Like us on Facebook GoDominicanRepublic
BVK Public Relations for DR Ministry of Tourism Annie Holschuh, US PR Director
(414) 247-2140 / firstname.lastname@example.org