With its romantic scenery of uninterrupted white sand beaches, in addition to a plethora of resort offerings on multiple coastlines, the Dominican Republic is a popular pick for destination weddings. Hotels excel at providing wedding packages and services–including help with marriage certificates, hiring event planners and photographers, booking spa treatments, a personalized wedding cake, catering, music, and flower arrangements, among other details, leaving the bride and groom to focus on enjoying the journey.
Photocopies of required documents, as listed below, can be sent in advance. The couple must bring the originals when arriving in the country. All documents must be legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator.
For preparation of the Marriage Certificate, submit the following documents to the Civil Status Office before the ceremony:
- Original passport with photocopy of the identification page, and the last entries to the country;
- Affidavits of marital status, certifying that the bride and groom are single;
- Original birth certificates;
- Divorce Certificate(s) or Death Certificate(s), if applicable; and
- Two or more witnesses with valid passports, other than family.
Those wishing for a religious ceremony in the DR’s paradisiacal setting can make their dream come true. The main requirement is to obtain authorization from an archbishop in the couple’s country of residence, and deliver it to the local Dominican archdiocese. The documents needed include:
- Pre-matrimonial Certificate;
- Certificate of Civil Marriage legalized by the Dominican Consulate, if the couple has already married in their country;
- Baptism Certificates;
- Certificates of Confirmation; and
- Church Annulment Certificate(s), if applicable.
Birth certificates are also necessary, and an Affidavit of Marital Status, usually obtained from the Dominican Consulate of the country where the documents were issued.
Getting Married in